Hello there, health-seeking performer! I’m Shani, a soon to be functional medicine health coach (finishing my coursework in August).
Here’s my story and how I can help you. For the past 40 years, I have been a performer (I started when I was super young). Over the past several years, I have also been a speech-language pathologist, mom, investment portfolio manager, personal finance dabbler, and librarian. If you want to read more about that, check out Learned Mom and my actor website. Even though I dabble in so many different things, the one thing I have been passionate about throughout my entire life is health. As a performer, it is integral to stay healthy and fit. Being healthy opens up so many more opportunities as a performer. If you don’t feel good, you won’t have the energy to give high-energy performances. And, if you aren’t healthy, you are limited in the type of stage performances you will be hired to do.
So, why did I decide to become a coach? Over the past few years, members of my family started to suffer from poor mental health, stomach problems, and other illnesses. As these things started to take a toll on my family, I began looking for solutions besides medications. Then I came across functional medicine. Was this the solution I was looking for? The more I researched functional medicine the more wanted to learn. While learning about functional medicine, I came across a health coaching program dealing solely with the functional medicine approach. I ordered a sample class and I fell in love with the idea of bettering my health through diet, mind/body improvements, and exercise. I began the program in September of 2019 and will finish a year from that date.
While I am not ready to begin coaching yet (I have to finish my program first), I will hopefully be open for business by October of 2020. I have decided to focus my coaching clients to performing artists because that is a population I know extremely well and I feel like I could address those needs. However, everyone can improve their health so most of the information provided here can be applied to anyone. I am just viewing it through the lens of a performer.
My Approach & Values
- I look at you as an entire person. Your health is not just your weight. It’s all the pieces and parts that make you including your mindset. So many things can impact your health and I help you break it apart and fine-tune the process to one that is entirely about you and your specific needs.
- I am passionate about health and empowering you to learn to take control of your health and helping you to realize that there are many things you can control. My job is to help you get from point A to point B in your well-being journey.
- I value learning and am on a constant mission to improve myself. I will share the latest findings in the health world to help you become a healthier version of yourself.
- Industry professional. I have been a performer as a singer, actor, and dancer for over 40 years.
- Supervised coaching experience with a variety of people during my program over the last year in my certification program
- Graduating with a certificate of functional medicine health from Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
- Master’s degree in Speech Language Pathology
- MLIS in Library and Information Science
- Trained for a certificate in Financial Planning
I Work With Individuals and & Online Groups
Do you prefer working one-on-one? Join me for coaching that is specifically tailored to your individual needs.
Self-paced programs allow you to work at your own pace. Take as much time as you need to get through a program using the course materials.
Do you enjoy social interaction and are more motivated if you are working with others to achieve your goals? Sign up for a group session.
Ask a question or book an appointment below.